Lemon Lentil Soup
1 bag of split red lentils
(16 oz/1lb/454 grams/approx 2 cups)
1 large white onion
6 cups of vegetable stock
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp salt or to taste
2 organic lemons - juice and zest
1. Soak lentils in warm water while finley chopping onions.
2. Heat vegetable oil and saute onions.
3. Rinse lentils well and drain.
3. Bring stock, lentils, and cooked onions to a boil for 20 minutes.
4. Turn off heat and add cumin, olive oil and salt.
5. Add lemon juice and zest last as acids can slow cooking time. If you want to use green lentils instead (even higher in protein) you will have to almost double the cooking time (try some fancy French Le Puy green lentils if you get a chance). This soup thickens very quickly and could be served as a dahl instead. Add as much water as you need to adjust to preferred thickness. Serve with a wedge of lemon and savoury biscuits.